Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Clothes that tell stories

I apologize for the very sad lack of posts! I have had two issues: 1. I have been very busy, as I just took on two internships this summer. 2. My computer literally started falling apart (the wires that connect the display screen of my laptop to the keyboard got loose and the computer screen cannot stand on its own...). So, yes, I am quite stressed. However, I have an outfit that I threw together to show you:
dress: Hardware; sweater: Espirit; belt: Los Angeles Zoo (I know, shocking, right?)
I have recently realized that outfits tell a story. Each article of clothing and accessory that goes into an outfit combine to tell a story about the experiences of the person who wears it. And I believe that putting these elements together is an art-form. So, I think that I will post differently sometimes from now on! I will blab on about my personal problems in colloquial language in the first part of my blog. Then, I will go on to show you an outfit. Finally, I will tell you guys the story of the outfit. Hopefully the stories won't sound too pretentious! ^^;;
Of course, I will do it only when I have a bit of time on my hands, but I will try to do it if I am ever inspired by a story!
Well, here I go...
The story: The birds on the dress fly across her body to resemble freedom. She is reminded of summer days and the salty scent of the ocean. The 6-year old sweater surrounds her in comfort and nostalgia; she remembers less stressful days and recalls how her imaginary world used to look like. The belt hides the elastic band that is in her dress. She searched for months for a belt similar to it. She originally saw them in a store nearby her school, but the merchant demanded that she pay $120 for one. Though they were made by artisans, she felt that the price was too much. Finally, she embarked on a journey to a world filled with lonely animals that are kept in captivity, and saw this belt in a gift shop. The price was about $30, and this belt was crafted by artisans as well. Happily, she went home with the purchase. She combined the different articles into an artwork that she wished to symbolize happiness, freedom, nostalgia, and triumph.
That's the story~ Tell me what you guys think! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment